Advantages to the Mulch Masters Weed Control Program
The first step in any weed-control program in beds is a sufficient layer of mulch. Typically we recommend 2-3 inches in depth. Mulch acts as a physical barrier to emerging seedlings and prevents sunlight from reaching the soil surface. Preventing photosynthesis represents one of the many benefits of mulch, but it will not hold back all weed infestations. We use mulch in conjunction with pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicides for the best results.
These are weed preventers that work by forming a barrier in the upper ½ to 1 inch of soil or mulch where most seeds germinate and kill weeds as they attempt to emerge. Although applications should be applied just prior to the height of germination of most weeds (late winter to early spring then again in late summer to early fall) there are varieties of weeds that germinate throughout the year so that any application contributes to weed management.
There are two types used. We rely on both selective and non-selective products to keep your beds as weed-free as possible. The differences are as follows…
- Non-Selective: Most everyone is familiar with Round-Up, the most well-known of the non-selective herbicides. These products do not discriminate between flowers, shrubs or weeds, and they’ll kill most vegetation. We use a very similar product, which is very carefully and sparingly applied to spot-treat weeds and grasses in beds. We take extra care and use techniques to minimize the possibility of damaging desirable plants when using non-selective products.
- Selective: As the name implies, this category of herbicides targets specific weeds and are formulated to not injure or kill other plants. There are a variety of products in our arsenal that we can utilize to solve some of the most difficult weed problems in beds, such as having thistle grow through shrubs or have Bermuda or crabgrass growing in, or tangled through bushes. We rely on a variety of selective herbicides for specific weed problems.
Understanding the Mulch Masters Weed Control Program
Maryland Department of Agriculture License #21131
Making your landscape look perfectly groomed is where we begin. Making that look last as long as possible is our focus. Sustainability is the added value that we bring to every job.
Beginning with our first visit we analyze the potential longevity of your mulch installation and strive to consider everything that we might contribute to its maintainability. Once we have a clean slate and you’re off to a great start, let us help keep it that way for as long as possible. The biggest threat to that is WEEDS!
Weeds aren’t just unsightly. They can hamper the growth and health of your plants by robbing them of vital nutrients and moisture, crowding them out of valuable root space and blocking out the sun. They can also harbor pests, disease and other plant health risks.
We have developed a year-round weed control program that:
- Targets annual & perennial weeds
- Prevents emergence and eliminates existing weeds
- Stops weed growth outside of beds, such as patios & walkways
- Achieves results without harming flowers, shrubs, trees or turf.